Saturday, December 18, 2010

Somalia: Terrorism’s Dark Corner (Part 1.5)

I was just about to write part 2 of my Somalia post from last week when I found this story reference a Yemeni-born foreign fighter, Rabah Abu-Qalid, dying in Mogadishu fighting this past Sunday.  So here is Part 1.5.
I pondered in Part 1 why there was so little discussion of Somali-Yemeni terrorism associations in Somalia.  With the rise of AQAP, I suspected there would be greater coordination between al-Shabab and Yemeni foreign fighters.  Maybe Abu-Qalid is a symbol of this collaboration?  Has anyone seen any more reporting on this story?
As with anything Somalia, coverage is light.  However, I’m interested in any other articles discussing potential collaboration between Yemeni foreign fighters (any Middle Eastern foreign fighters) and their role in al-Shabab or other Somali groups.  More to follow in part 2……

No comments: